Monday, April 2, 2012

Black Pepper

Last week when Blake's sister was cooking some food to take to a function, I offered to stir the pot of green bean casserole fixings together. She handed me a spoon to taste it after she flavored it with a lot of salt. It struck me how differently people cook. I would have used about half the salt and added pepper, so, being my typical self I told her how I would flavor it. She shrugged and got out the pepper, so I sprinkled a bit into the pot. I heard a gasp behind me and stopped abruptly, scared. I hadn't used as much as I would use in a dish for just the two of us, but apparently I use more than most people.

Later I asked Blake if he liked black pepper. He stared dumbly at me and asked if I had ever noticed how much he uses on his food. Oh yes, that's right. First he turns his food white with salt and then he wants to add some color so he blackens it with pepper. I guess he doesn't mind if I add it to the food from the get go.

Realizing that maybe I cook with a lot of the stuff sparked my interest about whether or not it is even good for me.

Prized highly in antiquity, black pepper is grown on a plant native to southeast Asia;Vietnam grows the largest percentage of the world's crop. The fruit is harvested before it is fully ripe and allowed to dry, which turns the peppercorns black.

Although it has high quantities of Vitamin A and K in it, the amount of pepper consumed under normal circumstances is not enough to get any substantial dietary amount. Amazing, little, useless fact there, huh?! :)

Black pepper's greatest substance is a chemical known as piperine, which is responsible for the spiciness. Piperine enhances digestion, as it stimulates digestive enzymes and reduces gastrointestinal food transit times. It also increases beta-endorphins in the brain, acts as an anti-depressant and boosts brain function. It is antioxidant, significantly reducing cancer causing cells.

For those with an aversion to black pepper, piperine can be bought as a supplement called Bioperine.

Peppercorns maintain their nutrients for a long time but as soon as it is ground into powder- the form most often bought, it will only maintain freshness for up to a couple of months. Maybe I should consider buying the peppercorns and grinding them from here on out?

I'm thinking since Blake likes pepper, I'll continue to use it. At least it isn't bad for us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment