Friday, May 4, 2012

The Alphabet

There is a problem that wise people who have lived life before me have already noticed. In fact, it was such a problem, that some wise people created an international solution in 1927.

Communication involving the alphabet can be confusing if the speaker is not in visible contact with the hearer. It can even be dangerous because sometimes simple letters leave people's lives at stake. The Radio Controller at an airport radios something about B1, the pilot hears D1... and such.

Telephone communication is challenging for me mostly when I am reading VIN numbers and tracking numbers. I always feel frustrated because I can't think of a word to match the letter fast enough to read it smoothly. I see a V and say "V, umm... as in verse" and I'm thinking well that should get the message across that it's not B as in boy.

Also referred to as the international radiotelephony spelling alphabet, the Nato Phonetic Spelling Alphabet is internationally recognized for oral communication. I decided I'd better learn it. :)

A= Alpha
B= Bravo
C= Charlie
D= Delta
E= Echo
F= Foxtrot
G= Golf
H= Hotel
I= India
J= Juliett
K= Kilo
L= Lima
M= Mike
N= November
O= Oscar
P= Papa
Q= Quebec
R= Romeo
S= Sierra
T= Tango
U= Uniform
V= Victor
W= Whiskey
X= X-ray
Y= Yankee
Z= Zulu

I found several of these words interesting as they seem hard to understand and hear or maybe they just seem to be strange words to me. Apparently as the years have passed, some of the words have changed. For example, "Mike" has always stood for "M", yet "P" has been Pup, Preparatory, Prep, and Peter, and finally Papa.

As I read a bit more, I found a simpler yet not internationally recognized option.

A= America
B= Banana
C= China
D= Dog
E= Elephant
F= Flower
G= Golf
H= Hotel
I= India
J= Jamaica
K= Kilo
L= Lima
M= Mars
N= New York
O= Orange
P= Prince
Q= Quebec
R= Radio
S= Sunday
T= Tiger
U= USA
V= Venus
W= Water
X= X-ray
Y= Yellow
Z= Zebra

So, I decided to learn them both; I will have two words for each letter. If they are memorized in my head, then when I need to order a transmission for a truck and must read the VIN over the phone, my thinker can have two options in there to think of!

4 comments:

  1. I have a problem at the thrift store when I look up the sku numbers for books the manager writes. I sometimes I have to try several combinations because a handwritten:

    b0075gsfvvl

    can be taken a couple different ways. For instance:

    boo7s95fuu1.

    I have a hard time coming up with words for letters, too. I know I must've come up with some pretty stupid ones over the years when on the phone with someone trying to copy down an email address! LOL.

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to the police scanner there is another list of codes for words that they use :)
    A: Adam
    B: Boy
    C: Charles
    D: David
    E: Edward
    F: Frank
    G: George
    H: Henry
    I: Ida
    J: John
    K: King
    L: Lincoin
    N: Nora
    O: Ocean
    P: Paul
    Q: Queen
    R: Robert
    S: Sam
    T: Tom
    U: Union
    V: Victor
    W: William
    X: X-ray
    Y: Young
    Z: Zebra

    When pressed on the phone to remember these codes, I usually start out good but then forget some of them and start making up words! I find if I don't get the meaning across to who I'm talking to, they make up their own words too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is the list I had originally looked for and couldn't find! Thank you :)

      Delete