Friday, February 21, 2014

Excited for ESV

I originally came up with my last post because I got a new bible and was so excited about it! By the time I actually sat down to write out what was on my mind, it was cluttered enough that I forgot momentarily about said bible.

So now it gets a post all it's own. :)

For several months I've been really, really wanting an ESV bible. I knew that I wanted to get a version in addition to my KJV, which I know and trust, mostly because of the sections I've memorized. Every time I look up a verse online, I find myself reading the ESV one and typically I really love it. It's easy to read yet still very similar to what I've been used to. And some things, like verb tenses, just seem more clear.

James 1:17
 (KJV) "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

(ESV) " Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change."


John 3:17
(KJV) "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

(ESV)  "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him."

I'm thankful for variety from old english. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment