Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can you back a trailer?

I can't! Or so I realized the first time I hauled a 30 ' gooseneck load of scrap metal to the junk yard. Of course the yard was packed and people were waiting for me and... let's just say it wasn't working too well for me. One of the workers finally had to do it for me and the waiting guys were all grumbling about women drivers.

That was embarrassing.

Yesterday another load needed to go. I needed to take it. Not wanting to get in the same situation again, I asked one of Blake's 12-year-old brothers to go along with me (Yes, he has two). When the time came to back up, I suggested that I was pretty sure this was why I brought him along. He grinned and said he thought that I really ought to do it. After listening to him carefully explaining how to do it, and then his step by step explanation through the process, I carefully navigated my rig backwards and got back to the scale. When I went in to get my money, the lady at the desk informed me that the guys were all commenting on how well I did, for being a woman at least! The boss happened to be in there, and of course remembered how it went for me the last time. He began to expound on folks who have a CDL and can't even back up.

I'm told that "Practice makes perfect". In my case, I think it's something more like "A coach will always be needed". I have to admit though: the compliment gave me courage to keep trying!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it ridiculous that the women of this family have to get 12 year olds to help us with stuff like this????

    Brock came home and he shrugged like Blake does and said something akin to, "It was a piece of cake. I just told her how to turn the wheel" and then he walked off to do something grand like put a new roof on the barn.....

    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete