Friday, April 19, 2013

Tailgates and Such

We have this problem with tail gates. They don't stay on or up or in working order, for some reason.

 I can't imagine why!

Now there was this one time when Blake's dad purchased this thing from an auction. A big fiber-board type thing with wire racks and many rolls of wire on them: a wire center from an old hardware store. I was elected to run to the farm to pick it up. It was dark and I do remember the moment when I thought I may have felt it slide back in the bed of the truck, but I truly paid little attention to it. I drove home and then hours later went back to the shop to pick up Blake. Of course he noticed that the tailgate was down, and he asked why I didn't get the wire center. I looked horrified, but when asked what happened I took him back to the exact spot where I just *knew* it was. It was splintered in the ditch with rolls of wire rolled through the weeds. Special.

And there was the one truck where I kept having the guys weld my tail gate latches back together. It would fall off in random places and I'd hear a clunk and have to stop quickly to go pick it up. 

And then more recently with our current truck there was the 55 gal. drum of antifreeze. I had it secure, or I thought so. When I arrived back at the shop, though, it definitely had broken through the hinge on the one side and had bent the tail gate such that the drum was able to be hanging about half way off the truck. 

When we got to work yesterday and my husband noticed that, out of the four junk engine heads that were on the back of the truck, there was only one remaining, I headed out to make sure they weren't lying in the road somewhere. I found only one; I'm assuming someone picked up the other two. They weren't worth a ton even in scrap. But yes, for those of you who saw me pull off quickly on the side of the road yesterday at 7:30 a.m., jump out of the truck, run across the road, pull up a duramax engine head out of the ditch and stick it under my arm, nope, I wasn't the one who lost it this time. And I'll just smile and wave if I ever see you doing something like that. I know what it feels like. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment