Tuesday, September 25, 2012

For Sale: Dodge Hoods

"21. (Yes, that would be 't-w-e-n-t-y o-n-e' of them.) Take one or all. Many colors. Old ones and newer ones. Motivated seller will consider all offers!"


This was the ad that formed in my mind as I dug through piles of parts. The very piles of parts to which I must proudly say I am part owner. Somehow, and I'm not sure how exactly, we have acquired LOTS of stuff. Parts trucks make easy money, but then there are a lot of parts left over that someone will probably want someday. We just have to find that someone! In our three years of marriage, not only have we bought and driven somewhere close to ten nice trucks, we have also bought at least 50 trucks that no longer were good at hauling anyone or anything. They have all turned into pieces and their remains are beginning to pile up.

I hauled a load of scrap to Speedie's. In theory, it is one of my favorite jobs. It cleans up my place and they pay me. What could be a better deal?! When I get there with the trailer (that I can't back very well), I am reminded by the junk yard guys- who are clapping at me from their seats in the excavator- that I really actually am not very good at this job. When I finally relinquish the driver's seat to one of the guys who is willing to stop laughing at me, I get reminded by the guys on the ground that they didn't actually get to see my turning around out at the road, but they DID hear about it over the radio. Thanks guys!

Hey but my cleaning up now hopefully will be something to be thankful for in the future. We are steadily looking for a place to move the shop and although we are willing to build if necessary, we aren't even able to find land in a decent location for a reasonable price. So while we continue to search, I'm anticipating what could happen. I can just picture it. January rolls around and we suddenly find somewhere to go. All the dead grass from the summer has by then completely died over top of the 21 hoods, the doors, fenders, driveshafts, axles, fuel tanks, and all the other stuff outside. Then there will be a layer of ice and then a layer of snow overtop of that and it will be so much work to move out of here, that not only will we end up junking stuff that could make money, we will also have to pay rent longer than necessary just in order to get everything dug out.

That would be why I feel an incredible drive to reduce our quantity of hoods- and increase yours. Please, oh please, wouldn't your truck look great with a new old hood?!


P.S. I did sell two hoods last week. Actually I think it was Blake who found the buyers, but I think we'll share the credit this time!

2 comments:

  1. I'd take a Chevy tailgate (green). I'm sick of trying to work with the busted one on our truck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Poppy the part about the guys at the junk yard. Funny!
    ~Mom

    ReplyDelete