Friday, September 7, 2012

Maybe I Should Turn Wrenches...

But I won't. Or I can't. I won't because I can't, or I can't because I won't. I'm not sure which it is, but my job description does not include the word "mechanic".

That being said, my job does include a lot of things that don't normally get included in a girl's job description, or even just one person's job description.

 Yesterday I scrubbed a new-to-us flywheel grinder. Today I tried to clean a corner in the shop. Seriously I could spend my entire day, every day, Cleaning. Organizing. Cleaning Parts. and Cleaning. Then in my spare time I could list all those clean parts (that I would then be able to find) on ebay...
  
I love cleaning. In addition to that, I answer the phone. And talk to customers who stop by. And take care of the billing department. All accounting actually. And go on test drives- the longer ones where several miles need to be put on just to ensure that the fluky problems don't happen again. And run after parts.

I'm told that being a parent requires you to be a jack of all trades and to adapt easily and to think quickly. Some days I confidently feel like I'm going to be really good at parenting because I've been practicing all those things at work. It even seems that parenting might be more relaxing. (Don't worry- I know that you moms are all laughing at me right now :) )

Today was crazy. Several different folks desperately needed their trucks and nothing seemed to go right but the phone kept ringing.

--The one truck computer arrived but was one year different and so the oil pressure gauge now doesn't work.
--Another truck had to have a computer swapped but it doesn't shift right and the guy who can flash it correctly is on vacation until Monday. My customer is panicked because he needed the truck two days ago. 
--One truck was supposed to just have an oil leak, and ended up needing an injector.
--Another truck came in for trailer brake light wiring and ended up getting an exhaust manifold.

How am I supposed to schedule so that we aren't so crazy when that kind of thing happens?

We even have customers show up from New Jersey. A truck showed up on a trailer today because he was using so much oil and he can't seem to find a diesel mechanic in NJ. (He found us after he broke down a few miles from us several months ago.)  Turns out he needs an engine rebuild now.  

As a word of warning: if you own a diesel, do not put off repairs. Fix it while it's small. Not fixing it leads to bigger problems and then bigger problems, which then really break your wallet!

None the less, that engine rebuild is now added to the other six that are waiting to be done. Engine rebuilds are expensive and time consuming; I always feel terrible having to tell people how much it will cost to fix their truck. I wouldn't make a good doctor. At least the poor folks' health is still with them even after their wallet is empty!

In addition to the seven engine rebuilds that are awaiting our attention, we have a Ford Cummins swap to do- a good 100 hours of labor. We also have a camper that needs one of those rebuilt engines. Unfortunately some brilliant camper designer put the engine under the bed in the back. We haven't completely figured out how that job is going to be done! And then there are all the normal little every day projects that steadily come in.

One guy this week drove an hour and twenty minutes to get here because he had been told that if his truck ever needed work, he ought to bring it to us. He didn't have a phone number though so he drove here to make an appointment. I told him that it would be at least two weeks before I could get him in, which was a bit of a let down for him!

One solution to our work overload was to hire a new guy, who will start on Monday. Hopefully that will help! I really don't want to have to learn to turn wrenches. It seems too complicated for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment